Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificates

When you market your house for sale or rent, legislation requires that there is a valid Energy Performance Certificate available relating to the property. Click here for details of the legislation.

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a report that lets you know how energy efficient the property is, and how efficient it could be if changes were made – such as: adding loft insulation or changing to a modern boiler for central heating.

If you are renting a house, the Energy rating must be between an A and an E. If it is an F or Lower after April 2018 you will not be allowed to renew a tenancy on it (there are exclusions for this rule if the property is a Listed Building).

If you are selling a house then the EPC must be ordered before the property is marketed and in place within 28 days of the property being listed as ‘For Sale’.

An EPC is valid for 10 years from the date of its issue – so you can sell or rent a house if it has had a certificate done within that time frame, you do not have to get a new one done every time you sell or rent a house.

The person issuing your certificate must be a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor. If you need me to do one for you, I will visit your property and take around an hour collecting information and checking your loft space before completing the certificate for you. I charge £50 for each EPC for most residential properties. If you would like to book an EPC, just give me a call on [phone_number].